[arch-general] My end-user $0.02 on /etc/rc.conf splitting.

Rodrigo Rivas rodrigorivascosta at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 19:57:49 EDT 2012

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 11:24 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org>wrote:

> The dumbest thing I've come across was in Fedora 8 or so where
> some well hidden *binary* file, called from god knows where -
> I never found out - was used to create 'Desktop', 'Music', etc.
> directories in the user's home on each login.

That _hidden_ program is `xdg-user-dirs-update`, which is run automatically
by many session managers.

The weirdest thing is not that it creates those directories, but that if
you ever log in using another language, it would rename them to their
localized names... Fortunately I think that is no longer the default.

--
Rodrigo.