[arch-general] My end-user $0.02 on /etc/rc.conf splitting.

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 23 09:29:14 EDT 2012

> > Simple example: I didn't have consolekit for some years, and I don't
> > care about whatever it has to offer. Recent updates of xdm have pulled
> > it in. So far it hasn't done anything evil except being useless and
> > consuming system resources (50 or so threads). Same about polkit, it's
> > pulled in only as a depency of gconf which in turn is only there because
> > the Emacs package wants it.
>
> But this does not have anything to do with the recent proposal / change
> of the "rc.conf" and the split up coming along with this. So you
> shouldn't mix things up here.

It does because this proposal has been thankfully and honestly made out
as an expected softener of the inevitable. Breaking up systemd into
smaller optional packages rather than sucking more and more in and so
bugs as more code equals more bugs, should perhaps be rallied upstream
and I hope is inevitable too.