[arch-general] My end-user $0.02 on /etc/rc.conf splitting.

Rodrigo Rivas rodrigorivascosta at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 07:00:16 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 12:35 PM, 1126
<mailinglists at elfsechsundzwanzig.de>wrote:

> For you this change might be a reason to switch to Fedora, you say. I
> mean, seriously? How is it all handled in Fedora then? Well, I don't
> now, actually.

Fedora is RedHat, and that's where systemd came to live, so you can guess...

> - It's a rolling release distro: You only have to carefully do pacman
>   -Syu to keep your system up-to-date. I started using Linux with Ubuntu
>   and first I really looked forward to a new release, I mean new
>   features, new artwork and all that stuff. But distupgrade nearly
>   always failed and so I re-installed my system every six months. This
>   is not good! With ArchLinux I can spent way more time just using my
>   system instead of playing admin.

Well said. I came from Ubuntu also, and I expected that in Arch some things
would break because of it being rolling and more bleeding-edge than Ubuntu.
I accepted that, but as it happened, it breaks _less_ than Ubuntu.

And, actually, about the rc.conf split, I couldn't care less. One file,
three files, doesn't make a difference to me. As long as they are text
files, and not binary ones, like some other mainstream systems, all is good.

Just my 0.02 €
--
Regards.