[arch-general] Upcoming changes to virtualbox

Sébastien Luttringer seblu at seblu.net
Mon Jul 23 07:11:00 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 3:29 AM, Oon-Ee Ng <ngoonee.talk at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 9:04 AM, Sébastien Luttringer <seblu at seblu.net> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 2:17 AM, Karol Babioch <karol at babioch.de> wrote:
>>> Am 23.07.2012 02:01, schrieb Sébastien Luttringer:
> My current practice is to use my own simple wrapper script to call
> vboxbuild $KERNEL to rebuild for all my currently installed kernels.
> Will this be possible with dkms install?

You can build/install script for a custom kernel version with something like
$ dkms install vbhoxhost/4.1.18 -k $KERNEL

You can also let dkms rc script do it for you at boot.

> Come to think of this, would dkms then be a hard dep for virtualbox?

dkms become an hard dep for virtualbox-source (and
virtualbox-archlinux-source). You can still use virtualbox-modules.

> could I just save a copy of the currently working vboxbuild and continue to use that?
For a time probably. However, there is some bug reports open which
will not be fixed.

> I used to have my own script (its
> probably backed up somewhere) for doing this, but vboxbuild was just
> easier to use.
This change is soft and can open new way of handling custom modules.

Take a look at dkms, it's a non-upstream modules manager. You can use
it to build/install/load _all_ your custom modules with "dkms
autoinstall".

--
Sébastien "Seblu" Luttringer
www.seblu.net