[arch-general] My end-user $0.02 on /etc/rc.conf splitting.

Karol Babioch karol at babioch.de
Mon Jul 23 12:53:02 EDT 2012

Hi,

Am 23.07.2012 17:29, schrieb Kevin Chadwick:
> Tested, simply sophisticated and as fast as you make it.

There is no parallelization, no socket activation and no auto mounting.
In no way can it be as fast as systemd.

> Once you get to desktop level and SSDs, who cares about a few seconds.

It's not only about speed, but speed is a nice bonus. Its also about
reliability. But I'm not going to enumerate the advantages of systemd
over and over again. Just read the blog posts by Lennart ;).

> The fastest booting systems (< 1 second) use init and won't use systemd.

Which systems do you have in mind? Personally I can tell you out of
experience that my system boots up faster with systemd.

> WRT pulse audio it won't run under a grsecurity kernel so first
> I'd say define modern desktop. How functional, how secure.

On a "modern desktop" you probably have bigger concerns regarding
security then running grsecurity. That said it should run fine with
SElinux, which Fedora is using by default. Furthermore grsecurity seems
to focus on servers anyway, so I'm not sure why you even bring this up?

Best regards,
Karol Babioch