[arch-general] My end-user $0.02 on /etc/rc.conf splitting.

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Jul 25 05:20:57 EDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-07-25 at 07:51 +0200, okraits at arcor.de wrote:
> > Bad programming is the most favorite answer, and totally nonsense. The
> > registry just gets bigger and bigger and is totally cryptic. And the
> > registry is one of the most frequent reasons for system crashes and
> > instabilities. And it's the most frequent reason why Windoze regularly
> > (usually every 3 months) needs to be reinstalled.
> >
> > Heiko
> >

> Hello Heiko,
>
> this is simply not true.
>
> First of all, starting with Windows XP the stability of Windows (yes, Windows, not Windoze) got much better and there are very few crashes which are mostly related to driver issues, IMO.
>
> Secondly, Windows doesn't need to be reinstalled every 3 months. Come on, most companies use Windows on their desktops and they don't need to reinstall them every 3 months. And their employees actually can work with their computers.
>
> And i don't say this because i like Windows but because i'm realistic and not unfair. I don't live in a world where one system is perfect and the others are all completely crap. If you think that Windows is completely bad then you're not professional.
>
> BTW: pacman.conf is written in an ini-style as well.
>

> Greetings,
>
> Oliver

Is there the need to talk about Windows? XP is stable, just most XP
users are unexperienced, so they break their XPs, but for such computer
users a Linux won't work, since it needs too much tweaking to get a
Linux run, hence a borked XP anyway is better than a Linux that
completely doesn't work. However, XP will be dropped soon. Or is it
already dropped by Microsoft? Btw. 98SE already is stable. Newer Windows
might be unstable, I dunno. For me it's important that Microsoft and
Apple are unethical companies. Unfortunately XP doesn't run that good on
VBox and I'm not willing to install it directly to my computer again.
But we should keep in mind, that some software only is available for
Microsoft and Apple. And how many users are willing to stand the
roughness and all the rules of Linux communities? There are also such
forums for Windows, but you also will find many forums where old women
are allowed to ask the same stupid questions again and again and even
top posting and HTML for emails are allowed.
Registry indeed is a PITA, however, on Linux we've got pulseaudio, KDE4
GNOME3. Who cares? Comparing OS is useless. Splitting /etc/rc.conf has
less to do with something Windows-like.