[arch-general] Systemd +1

Leonidas Spyropoulos artafinde at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 15:42:33 EDT 2012

Hey all,

I just wanted to share my experience with you. I follow closely the
changes and discussion about systemd and I have to say that in the
first I was worried also that taken away the basic configuration from
rc.conf will be complicated and will cause more pain.
I usually enjoy breaking my computer into a point that I have to spend
2 hours reading the wiki or forums to fix it. Now days though I don't
have much time mainly due to work. Thus I wanted to get ahead of the
migration of initscripts to systemd.

I recently made an Archlinux installation on my laptop so the system
was quite clean. It was the perfect target for systemd migration. I
just installed the systemd and opened up wiki page. I started making
configuration changes to the files replacing entries in rc.conf with
new files.
It was quite straight forward if you know your system and refer back
to your rc.conf.

When done I removed the intescripts and rebooted. It was that simple.
Had a bit of glinches as I didn't enable networkmanager from the start
and reboot from inside the gnome didn't work, but now it's all fixed.

I recommend to all to try at least once the systemd migration and then
express opinions. It's really easy.

Maybe it's just my idea but I think the system is somewhat faster on
the booting now.

Just my opinion but as I see initscripts are abandoned and Archlinux
is a bleeding edge distro, it's natural solution to adopt systemd.
+1 from me :)

Disclaimer: this was done on a laptop a very recent installation,
maybe on other more complicated installations it's harder.

Leonidas

--
Caution: breathing may be hazardous to your health.

#include <stdio.h>
int main(){printf("%s","\x4c\x65\x6f\x6e\x69\x64\x61\x73");}