[arch-general] Was Re: [arch-dev-public] [mkinitcpio][RFC] a better fallback image?

Myra Nelson myra.nelson at hughes.net
Thu Jul 26 00:52:51 EDT 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 6:13 PM, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:

>>> I really think this would be a good idea. I wanted to make some
>>> additions to pierres pkgstats stuff so we could have an idea of how
>>> large percentage of our users would be covered by the modules you
>>> propose. I expect the vast majority would.
>>
>> Sure. I'd love to see the running kernel version and the first column of
>> /proc/modules submitted with pkgstats. If we were to reset the global
>> stats (or just reset the epoch) and make a concerted effort to have
>> people submit (news post, social media, allan's blog, etc) I'll bet we
>> could gather some good usage stats from -ARCH kernel consumers in a
>> fairly short timeframe.
>
> Pierre: would something like the attached patch make sense for pkgstats?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom

To all:

Sorry to intrude but, after reading this I altered mkinitcpio.conf to
use xz compression, used this module list

MODULES="i2c_dev i2c_smbus i2c_algo_bit i2c_piix4 drm ttm
drm_kms_helper radeon snd soundcore snd_timer snd_page_alloc snd_pcm
snd_hwdep snd_hda_codec snd_hda_codec_realtek snd_hda_codec_hdmi
snd_hda_intel pci_hotplug shpchp fuse drm i2c_dev i2c_piix4 i2c_smbus
drm_kms_helper i2c_algo_bit radeon e1000 edac_core sp5100_tco
powernow_k8 mperf processor psmouse evdev serio_raw button sunrpc
nfs_acl lockd auth_rpcgss fscache nfs wmi usb_common usbcore ohci_hcd
ehci_hcd usbhid hid scsi_mod libata libahci ahci sd_mod sr_mod cdrom
pata_atiixp floppy fat vfat crc16 jbd2 mbcache ext4"

which includes 97% of the modules I use ( lsmod ) and left autodect
on. With a stock -ARCH 3.5 kernel the image is 9.2 Mb.

Myra