[arch-general] Systemd +1

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 14:10:16 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 5:58 PM, Bjoern Franke <bjo at nord-west.org> wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, den 25.07.2012, 20:42 +0100 schrieb Leonidas Spyropoulos:
>
>> Maybe it's just my idea but I think the system is somewhat faster on
>> the booting now.
>>
>> Just my opinion but as I see initscripts are abandoned and Archlinux
>> is a bleeding edge distro, it's natural solution to adopt systemd.
>> +1 from me :)
>>
>> Disclaimer: this was done on a laptop a very recent installation,
>> maybe on other more complicated installations it's harder.
>
> +1
>
> I've "converted" two Arch installations from initscripts to systemd.
> After some fiddling about my nfs-mounts systemd works fine, and I didn't
> get any problem with it so far.
> I hardly understand people who only read about systemd and complain all
> the time. Is it just the fear of new things? Maybe systemd will make
> things easier for arch-newbies, because they have not to care about the
> order of the DAEMONS in rc.conf (networkmanager after dbus etc.). And I
> hardly believe that people are using Arch only because of "simplicity"
> of one single config file.

Perhaps it is not fair to compare Arch directly with another
distribution but I have been a Fedora user for many years, and only in
the past year converted to Arch due to the strong appeal of arch's
rolling release system - but I still have a few machines which run
Fedora 16 where systemd is there by default - and I have to say that I
have not had a single issue related to systemd in Fedora 16. I have
not installed Fedora 17 but presumably the number of bug reports
concerning systemd is small now for the most recent stable version.
One has to learn how to stop and start daemons and a few still have no
service files and use the old way of starting them up, but once
"enabled" daemons start up and run at boot without any problem, and
have not caused any packages to fail or stop working in Fedora 16.

At present systemd is still being "honed" in arch, but once the
preparation and testing are complete hopefully then I guess once
people have run their systems using systemd for real for a while
without significant problems them maybe resistence to this way of
starting up daemons will fade somewhat?

Of course there are some bigg'ish changes in Arch at the moment -
glibc, /usr move, grub2, systemd - and dare I mention that possibly
some work is being done on selinux - the nitty gritty details of the
implementation are where the problems lie but with work as bugs arise
and get fixed maybe all these will stabilise and move slowly into the
install media - and with new install media planned to be released at
more regular intervals I guess any residual bugs will emerge as people
use the new systems more.  I had great fun on a laptop last week
trying to increase the post-MBR gap on the hard drive from 32kiB to
2MiB on a system that had a Dell diagnostic partition between the MBR
and the root arch partition - I won't go into the gory (and scary)
details of going from an unbootable system back to a running arch
system after removing the Dell diagnostic partition!

Back to systemd...

We are all still learning as new features come into play!

--
mike c