[arch-general] Systemd : Analysis of reactions of Users

Dennis Herbrich dennis at archlinux.org
Thu Jul 26 06:52:39 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 12:07:02PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> I don't claim to be an expert, I already mentioned that I'm a dummy. So
> again: Is Linux in the future for experts only?

I'm at a loss what kind of answer you are expecting, nobody has any "right" or
even the ability to answer such a purely political statement.

If you want my opinion, for whatever reason:
Yes, please. Optimize Linux for experts at the very core, and leave the
subjective and political interpretation to those experts who feel compelled to
create Linux variants that serve specific needs. Historically, such variants
were called "distributions", and I like the concept.

Now, if you were really wondering if *Arch Linux* shall be for experts only,
I'd tentatively give a yes as well, as the vision for Arch has been, and still
is, to provide a system with "few surprises" to the archetypical, generic linux
administrator. However, the specification of this often cited archetype has
been subject of discussion uncountable times, and I personally am quite tired
of this, to be perfectly honest.

If you feel any distribution's goals diverge too much from yours, you can and
should(!) look for something better suited to your needs, or adapt the
distribution. There's nothing wrong with that, and nobody in their right might
will take offense.
However, if the benevolent dictators of Arch decide that systemd is technically
"good enough" and will be (or already is) the "way of least surprise" for
seasoned linux admins, then it's a sensible decision to follow that route.

Please excuse me starting to ramble. I would have made my point more concisely,
but I lack the time to do so. If there's a point I'd like to make, it should be
"Linux is whatever you make of it.", and this basic statement implicitly
precludes "dummies", as you put it, from taking part as well as "experts".

Best regards,
  Dennis
--
"Den Rechtsstaat macht aus, dass Unschuldige wieder frei kommen."
  Dr. Wolfgang Schäuble, Bundesinnenminister (14.10.08, TAZ-Interview)

0D21BE6C - F3DC D064 BB88 5162 56BE  730F 5471 3881 0D21 BE6C