[arch-general] Systemd : Analysis of reactions of Users

Myra Nelson myra.nelson at hughes.net
Thu Jul 26 18:21:18 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 8:00 AM, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 2:58 PM, Baho Utot <baho-utot at columbus.rr.com> wrote:
>> On Thursday, July 26, 2012 05:22:09 PM Oon-Ee Ng wrote:

>>> Yeah, because key=value pairs are more complicated then, you know, a
>>> programming language? Its not like systemd even prevents you from
>>> USING bash if you feel it should be an integral part of the init
>>> system.
>
> Because in 99.9% of cases you do not need to use bash... However, just
> in case some people have some requirements that are not covered by
> systemd yet, then it is possible to fall back to bash as before.
> Meaning we get huge benefits in almost all cases, and are no worse
> than before in the remaining few....
>
> -t

Tom:

I've decided you may as well save your breath. Everyone here is still
kicking "a dead horse". I will admit to being far below the level of
most Arch users and I made the transition will minimal problems, one
being the network setup. The only consistency in this whole
conversation is the lack of perception of what is happening, the
difference between the two systems, and the benefits to all. Initially
I was a naysayer, 30 minutes reading and editing changed that.

Most Arch users are very linux and system savvy  (I hate nerds, geeks,
etc. Reminds me off the late 70's and 80's in Silicon Valley.) who
quickly adapt to these types of changes. Many don't seem to grasp the
concept that both systems are still supported. In my case because of
my bull head and set ways, I still use the /etc/rc.d/network script
for starting my network and let systemd do the rest. With the current
setup one can mix and match as necessary then try to get the system
improved over time.

I said something about saving your breath earlier. That's so you can
keep up the good work you ( and all those involved ) are doing on Arch
and not go crazy trying to defend the choices that have been made to
support certain software and ways of doing things.

To all the rest flame if you must, but please keep the noise down.
IMHO there are are enough threads about this topic already.

Myra