[arch-general] BTRFS USB key fails to boot

Kyle kyle at gmx.ca
Tue Jul 31 21:58:50 EDT 2012

According to Tom Gundersen:
#Also, usind syslinux rather than grub is usually much simpler
#(assuming you don't require some feature that is only required by
#grub.

Thanks Tom for suggesting syslinux. I now have a bootable system using syslinux, an ext2 /boot partition and BTRFS on the rest of the disk. Syslinux will probably work without the separate /boot, as I did find the mistake I made when installing it earlier. I installed syslinux using

syslinux-install_update -iam

but had already set the first partition as legacy-bios-bootable Because of this, syslinux-install_update stopped after failing to set the attribute that was already set and never wrote the boot code. After installing it with

syslinux-install_update -im

it correctly wrote the boot code and gave me a bootable Arch Linux USB key. Some time in the future, I may try to forego the /boot partition and use only a single BTRFS partition just for fun, but for now, since it ain't broke, I ain't gonna fix it. :) Thanks very much for all the help.
~Kyle
--
Kyle is a droid.
The whole world knows it.