[arch-general] Quick btrfs-root question

Zhengyu Xu xzy3186 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 23:48:28 EDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-07-31 at 21:50 -0400, Jameson wrote:
> I apologize if I've missed it somewhere, but does grub support booting
> from a multi-device btrfs root sub-volume without a separate /boot?
> According to the wiki I think it's supposed to work, but when I chroot
> to that root, and run grub-install, it returns:
> Path `/boot/grub' is not readable by GRUB on boot. Installation is
> impossible. Aborting.
>
> I left the chroot, and installed grub to that disk from my old root,
> but it won't boot from my new volume.  Does anyone have some advice,
> or should I just move to a separate /boot?
>
> Thanks,
> =-Jameson

Hi, I have just finished an installation of archlinux onto a btrfs
partition (although it is not a multi-device btrfs partition) with /boot
in a separated subvolume. For my case the grub2 works well. Before your
running of grub-install, have you checked if /root is accessible from
your chroot environment?

Regards,
Zhengyu