[arch-general] PKGBUILD-perl.proto

Myra Nelson myra.nelson at hughes.net
Sat Jun 2 22:41:32 EDT 2012

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 11:56 AM, Myra Nelson <myra.nelson at hughes.net> wrote:
> While working on some AUR packages, I took a look at the PKGBUILD
> prototypes that come with pacman. The one difference that I had a
> question about has to do with this snippet:
>
> _author=AUTHOR_NAME
>
> _perlmod=MODNAME
>
> pkgname=perl-$_perlmod
>
> pkgver=VERSION
>
> Since the MODNAME package being downloaded is, major caveat --usually,
> BackPAN-Index-0.40.tar.gz that would make the pkgname
> perl-BackPAN-Index-$pkgver[whatever]. A quick survey of the Arch
> package database still shows packages still named like
> perl-backpan-index-$pkgver[whatever]. I've yet to use the pkgname
> style, but was wondering if this is the future of perl package naming?
>
> Myra
> --
> Life's fun when your sick and psychotic!

I'm simply asking it the PKGBUILD-perl.proto with the
pkgname=perl-$_perlmod is correct.

# This is an example PKGBUILD file. Use this as a start to creating your own,
# and remove these comments. For more information, see 'man PKGBUILD'.
# NOTE: Please fill out the license field for your package! If it is unknown,
# then please put 'unknown'.

# See http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Perl_Package_Guidelines for more
# information on Perl packaging.

# Maintainer: Your Name <youremail at domain.com>
_author=AUTHOR_NAME
_perlmod=MODNAME
pkgname=perl-$_perlmod
pkgver=VERSION
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc=""
arch=()
url="http://search.cpan.org/~$_author/$_perlmod-$pkgver/"
license=('GPL' 'PerlArtistic')
groups=()
depends=('perl>=5.10.0')
makedepends=()
provides=()
conflicts=()
replaces=()
backup=()
options=(!emptydirs)
install=
source=(http://cpan.perl.org/modules/by-authors/id/$_author/$_perlmod-$pkgver.tar.gz)
md5sums=()

build() {
  cd "$srcdir/$_perlmod-$pkgver"

  # Install module in vendor directories.
  PERL_MM_USE_DEFAULT=1 perl Makefile.PL INSTALLDIRS=vendor
  make

  ## For packages with Build.PL, do this instead:
  # perl Build.PL installdirs=vendor destdir="$pkgdir/"
  # perl Build
}

package() {
  cd "$srcdir/$_perlmod-$pkgver"
  make install DESTDIR="$pkgdir/"

  ## For packages with Build.PL, do this instead:
  # perl Build install
}

# vim:set ts=2 sw=2 et:

Nothing is broken, I have not used it this way, I'm just inquiring
about the PKGBUILD-perl.proto that is installed with pacman.

Myra