[arch-general] PKGBUILD-perl.proto

Florian Pritz bluewind at xinu.at
Sun Jun 3 04:18:16 EDT 2012

On 03.06.2012 04:41, Myra Nelson wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 11:56 AM, Myra Nelson <myra.nelson at hughes.net> wrote:
>> While working on some AUR packages, I took a look at the PKGBUILD
>> prototypes that come with pacman. The one difference that I had a
>> question about has to do with this snippet:
>>
>> _author=AUTHOR_NAME
>>
>> _perlmod=MODNAME
>>
>> pkgname=perl-$_perlmod
>>
>> pkgver=VERSION
>>
>> Since the MODNAME package being downloaded is, major caveat --usually,
>> BackPAN-Index-0.40.tar.gz that would make the pkgname
>> perl-BackPAN-Index-$pkgver[whatever]. A quick survey of the Arch
>> package database still shows packages still named like
>> perl-backpan-index-$pkgver[whatever]. I've yet to use the pkgname
>> style, but was wondering if this is the future of perl package naming?
>>
>> Myra
>> --
>> Life's fun when your sick and psychotic!
>

> I'm simply asking it the PKGBUILD-perl.proto with the
> pkgname=perl-$_perlmod is correct.

Most likely not.

> Nothing is broken, I have not used it this way, I'm just inquiring
> about the PKGBUILD-perl.proto that is installed with pacman.

pacman only installs ChangeLog.proto, PKGBUILD.proto,
PKGBUILD-split.proto and proto.install. All the others are installed by
abs (which is not maintained so probably out of date) or other packages.

I suggest you use perl-cpanplus-dist-arch and cpanp for local
installation or cpan2dist/cpan2aur when creating packages for sharing.

--
Florian Pritz