[arch-general] /usr/bin/X: error while loading shared libraries: libudev.so.0:

P .NIKOLIC p.nikolic1 at btinternet.com
Mon Jun 4 02:34:18 EDT 2012

On Sun, 3 Jun 2012 20:40:48 -0500
Leonid Isaev <lisaev at umail.iu.edu> wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Jun 2012 23:52:05 +0100
> "P .NIKOLIC" <p.nikolic1 at btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi .
> >
> > I have just run  pacman -Suy  rebooted the system and found i could
> > not start X   getting the error  message
> > /usr/bin/X: error while loading shared libraries: libudev.so.0:
> > cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory ..
> >
> > Someone has suggested the fixed version of X but it is not showing
> > up having done a "pacman -Syyu   no fix i have had to use the dodge
> > suggested on the arch linux bbs  of
> >
> > ln -s /usr/lib/libudev.so.1.0.1 /usr/lib/libudev.so.0
> >

> > Yes i know it is not strictly speaking the correct thing
>
> Not only is it not correct, it is plain stupid.
>
> > BUT it got the
> > system working again  what i want to know is which mirror is likely
> > to have the fixed version of X on it  i can the get back to standard
> > system  .
>
> First, your /usr/bin/Xorg has been linked against an old libudev, so
> creating a symlink to a new library will inevitably cause breakage. I
> suggest reverting all changes while you can. Second, X is not a
> critical package and you shouldn't mess with udev just because X
> fails to launch.
>
> Regarging working versions, xorg-server 1.12.2 and systemd-tools
> 184-2 work together just fine.
>
> Regarding mirrors, kernel.org and rutgers.edu are the ones which I use
> interchangeably since ~2009.
>

> > Oh i also noitced that the systemd-udev update has messed the PA
> > sound system up
> >
> > Pete .

Since you  seem to be in snotty mode  that i neither asked for nor
required.   if the mirrors were up to date then this sort of thing
would not happen  , So Needs must  , I update this machine everyday for
several days i have been told nothing to do when i run "pacman -Syu"
so maybe there is a mirrors problem  sorry but not my department.

If there is new stuff out there and it dont hit the UK mirrors i am in
the UK why should i use German mirrors .

--
Linux 7-of-9 3.3.7-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue May 22 00:26:26 CEST 2012
x86_64 GNU/Linux