[arch-general] [cdrecord] Problems with original cdrecord on latest linux kernel

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Sun Jun 10 05:57:11 EDT 2012

Jörg, Lukáš,

On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 11:23 AM, Joerg Schilling
<Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
> Looks like a missconfigured kernel that does not include support for or
> for some strange reason does not load the SCSI generic driver

Our kernel does in fact include the "sg" module. However, it is
considered "legacy" [0] and udev intentionally does not autoload it
[1]. If I understand correctly it should not be hard to replace it's
use. Otherwise, you wight want to add to a README or something that
this module must be loaded (as I guess most people are not aware of
this issue).

Out of interest: does the current version of cdrecord always, or at
least in most cases, require this module to function, or is it only
for some pieces of hardware or some functionality?

On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 9:34 AM, Lukáš Jirkovský <l.jirkovsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe I should add it to post_upgrade() as well, so the loyal users of
> this package get this warning too. Or better – try to find why this
> module is no longer loaded.

If this module is wanted by a majority of cdrecord users, then you
might want to simply install a file
"/usr/lib/modules-load.d/cdrecord.conf" containing the string "sg".
That will load the module on boot for anyone with cdrecord installed.
For more details see [2].

The module-load.d directory is supported by us, as well as all distros
using systemd. So Jörg, you might consider including this upstream, if
it is the sg module is really needed.

Cheers,

Tom

[0]: <http://www.spinics.net/lists/hotplug/msg05189.html>