[arch-general] [cdrecord] Problems with original cdrecord on latest linux kernel

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Sun Jun 10 06:06:28 EDT 2012

Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:

> Jörg, Luká??,
>
> On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 11:23 AM, Joerg Schilling
> <Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
> > Looks like a missconfigured kernel that does not include support for or
> > for some strange reason does not load the SCSI generic driver
>
> Our kernel does in fact include the "sg" module. However, it is
> considered "legacy" [0] and udev intentionally does not autoload it
> [1]. If I understand correctly it should not be hard to replace it's
> use. Otherwise, you wight want to add to a README or something that
> this module must be loaded (as I guess most people are not aware of
> this issue).

Why should someone call an important driver "legacy"?

> Out of interest: does the current version of cdrecord always, or at
> least in most cases, require this module to function, or is it only
> for some pieces of hardware or some functionality?

The sg driver is the official documented method to access any SCSI device and
for this reason, libscg (the SCSI generic library) uses it.

As nobody from the linux kernel folks did ever contact me related to the sg
driver, it is obvious that not supporting sg is a bug.

> [0]: <http://www.spinics.net/lists/hotplug/msg05189.html>

It is bad practice to replace one driver by another just to cause
incompatibilities instead of enhancing existing software.

> [1]: <http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/commit/?id=09637f743414e2c36d6c5b032d77d76dbeb86b31>
> [2]: <http://0pointer.de/public/systemd-man/modules-load.d.html>

and btw. this supposed sg replacement is undocumented.

Jörg