[arch-general] Switching betweenX and TTY freezes WM
mateusz at loskot.net
Sun Jun 10 13:42:29 EDT 2012
I have been observing strange issues when I switch between X and TTY.
Here is the step-by-step story with details:
0. Login to tty1 and ttt2
1. From tty2 (not tty1), startx with either i3wm or Openbox
2. Launch 2-3 apps (e.g. urxvt, Firefox)
3. Switch back to tty1 (CTRL+ALT+F1)
4. Execute some shell commands in tty1
5. Switch back to X (CTRL+ALT+F7)
6. Observe no problems, no hangs, in Openbox the ALT+TAB and
in i3wm the Mod+[jkl;] combination cycles through windows, etc.
7. Switch to tty2 (CTRL+ALT+F2)
8. See xinit output, hit ENTER once or more, the xinit output scrolls up
9. Switch back to X (CTRL+ALT+F7)
10. Now, observe strange problems with lack of response in both,
Openbox or i3wm.
WMs are not completely frozen, but somewhat partially.
Neither Openbox ALT+TAB nor i3wm Mod+[jkl;] work.
No reaction to mouse operations have no effect
No reaction to i3wm Mod+SHIFT+Q, etc.
I'm running updated Arch on Lenovo ThinkPad T400
with Intel graphics (xf86-video-intel driver, i915 module).
Could the problem be related to xf86-video-intel driver?
BTW, I have been observing slow rendering of Terminus font under i3wm 
and it turns out the problem is in the most recent version of xf86-video-intel
in the Arch repos .
Mateusz Loskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net
More information about the arch-general