[arch-general] can not login after upgrade

Arno Gaboury arnaud.gaboury at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 16:42:16 EDT 2012

Le 12. 06. 12 22:25, Δημήτρης Ζέρβας a écrit :
> i would advise you to have only Arch and just "deal with it" (hours and
> hours was eaten to just make something "the arch way") ... but it's out of
> the subject
> did you find any solutions?
>
> (\_ /) copy the bunny to your profile
> (0.o ) to help him achieve world domination.
> (>  <) come join the dark side.
> /_|_\ (we have cookies.)
>

> On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 11:20 PM, Arno Gaboury<arnaud.gaboury at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Le 12. 06. 12 21:57, Δημήτρης Ζέρβας a écrit :
>>
>>> oh yes, it's not mounted at all, that's why you can't see it from ubuntu
>>> (arch&   ubuntu? how could you? :P)
>>>
>>> it's not a problem, just mount the boot partition to /<arch-mount>/boot
>>> and the /boot partition CAN'T be empty, because you can't login, but you
>>> actually boot!
>>>
>>> (\_ /) copy the bunny to your profile
>>> (0.o ) to help him achieve world domination.
>>> (>   <) come join the dark side.
>>> /_|_\ (we have cookies.)
>>>

>>> On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 10:52 PM, Mateusz Loskot<mateusz at loskot.net>
>>>   wrote:

>> As for Ubuntu and Arch on same machine, Ubutnu was a good way for me to
>> learn. Once I felt comfortable, I switched to Arch, and NEVER LOOK BACK !!
>>   :-)
>> But I am still a, let's say a n00b++, and this issue is puzzling me.
>> Yes, /boot and /usr are not on the root /, and you are right, the boot CAN
>> NOT be empty, it is just NOT mounted.
>> It seems I can do everything from Ubuntu, but I am not so sure to know
>> how. I will try to figure out, and LEARN, again and again...

I do not want to flame, but let me give you an advise too : BOTTOM POST
in the ML, it is much more easy to follow  :-)

Yes, I have a solution, follwoing Corentin Delcourt and Kacper Zuk answer :

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Chroot

If that's the issue, you can mount your root partition in Ubuntu, chroot
to it (read Change Root article on archwiki), edit /etc/mkinitcpio.conf
and run mkinitcpio -p linux.

Never did it before, but will manage to achieve to solve this issue.

Learning, again and again.