[arch-general] OT: DNS server help

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Jun 13 03:52:04 EDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-06-12 at 20:58 -0400, Kyle wrote:
> I don't really have the time to scroll down one line at a time, and
> most other people don't really have the time to scroll down 5 lines at
> a time wading through tons upon tons of wrotes, original messages,
> times and dates, angle brackets and messages we have already read as
> many as 10 times or more to get to the likely helpful answer all the
> way at the bottom of all that quoting.

Regarding to this topic I guess writing off-list is the better choice,
OTOH the "OT" in the subject enables to distinguish the original thread
with this OT.

However ...
Subject: [off-list][arch-general] OT: DNS server help
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 23:45:26 +0200

I don't care that much about top and bottom posting, but most people on
mailing lists for good reasons do.

The style becomes an issue, if some people post on top and others post
at the bottom. We already are using mail clients with different styles
for the quotation and line break.
... is what I've written off-list.

Now to the list, because there are exceptions.

Kyle, when I know that I write to somebody using braille I don't format
my email in a way, that can't be displayed in braille, e.g.

"I wrte a text with a typo."
   ^^^^ wrote

If I know somebody has an issue with his computer and she/he only can
use her/his wristwatch, I would bear this in mind too, when replying.

IMO you're mistaken. People usually don't post a complete message, most
of the times we [snip] a lot of text, especially signatures and mailing
list legends.

When I write a personal letter I prefer not to quote, but to write in a
way, that quotation isn't needed. For a reply on a mailing list it's
less time consuming to quote by cuttings and reply below it. In forums
this seldom is useful, there people most of the times quote because of
self-importance, to ensure the poster they reply to, doesn't edit the
original post, one of many good reason to prefer mailing lists instead.

I hope those posting discussions will stop one day and we only will
point out to stop it, without discussing it again, if top posting really
becomes annoying.

I like to encourage people not to use their Android, iThingy, MS web
thingy or wristwatch when writing to Linux home computer mailing lists,
as long as those things cause issues and the topic shouldn't be urgent.
If a MUA force you to CC, the way you need to post etc., I wonder why
people use such bad software. Seems to be the first step before the MUAs
include chatbods that force the contend of the emails body.

2 Cents,
Ralf