[arch-general] Mailing lists vs Forums

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Wed Jun 13 08:16:26 EDT 2012

On 12 June 2012 23:04, David Benfell <benfell at parts-unknown.org> wrote:
> On 06/12/12 01:40, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>>
>> The site: trick [1] has worked for me quite well for long time:
>>
>> "T400 site:http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/"
>>
>> Jeremiah's pointed on two front-ends to the same data,  best option
>> I know too. It is not ideal in though, so it is not a problem to
>> setup ML mirror on Gmane. Similarly, Nabble works fairly well as a
>> Forum frontend to ML. [2]
>
> site: I knew about and is good if you know which site will have the
> answer you're looking for. I don't always.

Yes, this is true.
In case of ML, it may be also related to some configuration of mailman.
I found that the Google's site: trick does work pretty well with
for example OSGeo Foundation mailing lists that I use extensively,
e.g.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?&q=jpeg+format+site%3Alists.osgeo.org%2Fpipermail%2Fgdal-dev%2F

> Sometimes, I'll find
> answers on the Ubuntu forums, for example, though I imagine this will
> be less true in the future as Ubuntu seems to be going down the toilet
> as a distribution.

:-)

> But what is 'T400'?

Model of Lenovo ThinkPad T400 which I use.

I used as example a needle being searched - as I've scanned
the MLs for T400 infos lately :)

Best regards,