[arch-general] Mailing lists vs Forums

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Jun 13 09:20:46 EDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-06-13 at 13:16 +0100, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> On 12 June 2012 23:04, David Benfell <benfell at parts-unknown.org> wrote:
> > On 06/12/12 01:40, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> >>
> >> The site: trick [1] has worked for me quite well for long time:
> >>
> >> "T400 site:http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/"
> >>
> >> Jeremiah's pointed on two front-ends to the same data,  best option
> >> I know too. It is not ideal in though, so it is not a problem to
> >> setup ML mirror on Gmane. Similarly, Nabble works fairly well as a
> >> Forum frontend to ML. [2]
> >
> > site: I knew about and is good if you know which site will have the
> > answer you're looking for. I don't always.
>
> Yes, this is true.
> In case of ML, it may be also related to some configuration of mailman.
> I found that the Google's site: trick does work pretty well with
> for example OSGeo Foundation mailing lists that I use extensively,
> e.g.
> https://www.google.co.uk/search?&q=jpeg+format+site%3Alists.osgeo.org%2Fpipermail%2Fgdal-dev%2F
>
> > Sometimes, I'll find
> > answers on the Ubuntu forums, for example, though I imagine this will
> > be less true in the future as Ubuntu seems to be going down the toilet
> > as a distribution.
>
> :-)
>
> > But what is 'T400'?
>
> Model of Lenovo ThinkPad T400 which I use.
>
> I used as example a needle being searched - as I've scanned
> the MLs for T400 infos lately :)
>
> Best regards,

I "collected" mailing list mails with Mozilla mailers and their search
options where very helpful. Today I'm using Evolution (the mails are
also on my machine) and it's less good, but anyway better than searching
Archives by Google and other search engines.
Searching Archives is a PITA, but once you access the emails with a MUA,
it's very comfortable. Btw. usually Arch and Ubuntu Wikis are the best
sources for search engines. YMMV! - Ralf