[arch-general] Shutdown and reboot not working after last weekend update

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Fri Jun 15 11:29:34 EDT 2012

On 06/14/2012 03:12 PM, Victor Silva wrote:
> I have no shares. Can I somehow try to umount everything in mtab? I'm not
> familiar with the internal workings of mtab. I will read a bit. Also the
> only thing I assume could be hanging is my external HD which I disconnected
> having no effect on the problem behavior. Still I reported that my /boot
> partition was being mounted and listed on kde file manager (forgot its
> name) which was not default behavior. So could be the case that /boot is
> hanging my shoutdown? I don't get the reason umount -a && shutdown -h now
> did not do the trick.
>
> I ask gently again if you could inform me why did the "magic reboot" did
> work while shutdown did not.
>
> Regards,
> Victor

Victor,

   I am no expert in the shutdown logic that Arch uses, but it is fairly easy
to follow. During shutdown, /etc/rc.shutdown is called and the 'umount_all'
command is supposed to take care of unmounting all non-api filesystems. If you
have specific commands you need run in _addition to_ what is done by
rc.shutdown, then you can put those commands in /etc/rc.local.shutdown. The
/etc/rc.local.shutdown must be executable to be called (chmod +x) or (chmod
0755). The rc.local.shutdown file is called close to the beginning of rc.shutdown.

   Looking at your mtab file and comparing to mine, I do not have any usb
drives connected to my system. Somebody more familiar with issues related to
usb drives will need to comment. You might want to try Guillermo's shutdown
modified as follows:

umount -arfl -t usbfs,fuseblk

   I don't know if that will do it, but you have 5 fuseblk filesystems and 1
usbfs mounted. I don't know how Arch handles their unmounting.

   Lastly, I do not use the gnome gvfs-fuse-daemon. That is another entry to
look at and make sure it isn't the issue. Maybe try your rc.local.shutdown with:

umount -arfl -t usbfs,fuseblk
killall gvfs-fuse-daemon  # or whatever that process actually runs as

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.