[arch-general] Shutdown and reboot not working after last weekend update

Victor Silva vfbsilva at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 16:12:55 EDT 2012

2012/6/14 David C. Rankin <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com>

> On 06/12/2012 02:06 PM, Victor Silva wrote:
>
>> Folks sorry for cross posting this at forum and mailing lists but so far
>> no
>> solution came there.
>>
>> Folks after the last upgrade I can no longer shutdown nor reboot my
>> machine
>> (I'm using it as root). The command simply hangs and nothing happens. I've
>> done some research and found
>> https://bbs.archlinux.org/**viewtopic.php?id=141155<https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=141155> this but that does not
>> seems to be my issue. I'm clueless which logs can I provide you in order
>> diagnose what can be the problem? Important thing, I have only 1 session
>> running and the system report going down still it never  gets past the tty
>> broadcast as it seems.
>>
>> Ideas?
>>

> I had a similar problem that began several months ago with my box hanging
> on shutdown or reboot. This problem was related to samba shares not being
> unmounted. To get around the problem a created an entry in
> '/etc/rc.local.shutdown' to call a script to unmount the drives. This
> solved the problem. The script I call simply checks whether there is still
> an entry in /etc/mtab for the share and if so, manually unmounts the share:
>
> [[ $UID -eq 0 ]] && umountcmd=umount || umountcmd="sudo umount"
>
> if grep -q mnt\/phx-cfg /etc/mtab; then
>  echo "umount /mnt/phx-cfg"
>  $umountcmd /mnt/phx-cfg
> fi
>
> if grep -q mnt\/phx-david /etc/mtab; then
>  echo "umount /mnt/phx-david"
>  $umountcmd /mnt/phx-david
> fi
>
> if grep -q mnt\/phx /etc/mtab; then
>  echo "umount /mnt/phx"
>  $umountcmd /mnt/phx
> fi
>
> if grep -q mnt\/win /etc/mtab; then
>  echo "umount /mnt/win"
>  $umountcmd /mnt/win
> fi
>
> if grep -q mnt\/pv /etc/mtab; then
>  echo "umount /mnt/pv"
>  $umountcmd /mnt/pv
> fi
>
> exit 0
>

> If you are experiencing shutdown hangs do to lingering mount issues, then
> something similar to this setup may help. (I never did figure out why the
> normal shutdown scripts didn't do this automatically)
>
> --
> David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

I have no shares. Can I somehow try to umount everything in mtab? I'm not
familiar with the internal workings of mtab. I will read a bit. Also the
only thing I assume could be hanging is my external HD which I disconnected
having no effect on the problem behavior. Still I reported that my /boot
partition was being mounted and listed on kde file manager (forgot its
name) which was not default behavior. So could be the case that /boot is
hanging my shoutdown? I don't get the reason umount -a && shutdown -h now
did not do the trick.

I ask gently again if you could inform me why did the "magic reboot" did
work while shutdown did not.

Regards,
Victor