[arch-general] Shutdown and reboot not working after last weekend update

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Jun 14 14:48:28 EDT 2012

On 06/12/2012 02:06 PM, Victor Silva wrote:
> Folks sorry for cross posting this at forum and mailing lists but so far no
> solution came there.
>
> Folks after the last upgrade I can no longer shutdown nor reboot my machine
> (I'm using it as root). The command simply hangs and nothing happens. I've
> done some research and found
> https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=141155  this but that does not
> seems to be my issue. I'm clueless which logs can I provide you in order to
> diagnose what can be the problem? Important thing, I have only 1 session
> running and the system report going down still it never  gets past the tty
> broadcast as it seems.
>
> Ideas?

I had a similar problem that began several months ago with my box hanging on
shutdown or reboot. This problem was related to samba shares not being
unmounted. To get around the problem a created an entry in
'/etc/rc.local.shutdown' to call a script to unmount the drives. This solved
the problem. The script I call simply checks whether there is still an entry
in /etc/mtab for the share and if so, manually unmounts the share:

[[ $UID -eq 0 ]] && umountcmd=umount || umountcmd="sudo umount"

if grep -q mnt\/phx-cfg /etc/mtab; then
   echo "umount /mnt/phx-cfg"
   $umountcmd /mnt/phx-cfg
fi

if grep -q mnt\/phx-david /etc/mtab; then
   echo "umount /mnt/phx-david"
   $umountcmd /mnt/phx-david
fi

if grep -q mnt\/phx /etc/mtab; then
   echo "umount /mnt/phx"
   $umountcmd /mnt/phx
fi

if grep -q mnt\/win /etc/mtab; then
   echo "umount /mnt/win"
   $umountcmd /mnt/win
fi

if grep -q mnt\/pv /etc/mtab; then
   echo "umount /mnt/pv"
   $umountcmd /mnt/pv
fi

exit 0

If you are experiencing shutdown hangs do to lingering mount issues, then
something similar to this setup may help. (I never did figure out why the
normal shutdown scripts didn't do this automatically)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.