[arch-general] Totem segfaulting on start on a fully up-to-date archlinux with testing enabled.

Vladimir Lomov lomov.vl at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 10:00:14 EDT 2012

** fredbezies [2012-06-16 13:02:44 +0200]:

>>> 2012/6/16 solsTiCe d'Hiver <solstice.dhiver at gmail.com>

>>> Guessed it right; Too bad it is sometimes too "windows-like" with nvidia
>>> driver updates :|

>> Too bad that whose who don't known the basics try to make such deep
>> conclusion.

> Don't know the basics ? Just using linux since christmas 2004...

I'm sorry, if you think I insult you. But I wouldn't mess the basics
knownledge with experience. You have to experiment and try to know
something new, always.

>> The last time I really need to reboot after graphics driver update
>> was when I updated kernel too (actually I updated kernel several times
>> without rebooting before I updated the NVIDA driver and reboot).

> Rebooting is sometimes the cleanest and the better way to be sure modules
> are correctly loaded.

If restrict the subject only to kernel and its modules then yes, it is,
IMHO, the only sane way to deal with modules.

>> IMHO, the minimal steps to use new NVIDIA driver are
>> 1. shutdown X system;
>> 2. logout as usual user and login as root;
>> 3. unload nvidia (kernel) module;
>> 4. load new nvidia (kernel) module;
>> 5. start X system.

> Well, it could be a solution, but a reboot is quicker and less hard to set
> up.

See my other message in the thread.

P.S. I don't like to reboot my desktop without serious reasone (it runs
like a server and, it is a secret, I'm using rtorrent on it :).

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
Cleaning your house while your kids are still growing is like shoveling
the walk before it stops snowing.

There is no need to do any housework at all.  After the first four years
the dirt doesn't get any worse.
		-- Quentin Crisp