[arch-general] Totem segfaulting on start on a fully up-to-date archlinux with testing enabled.

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Jun 16 14:18:52 EDT 2012

On Sat, 2012-06-16 at 19:50 +0200, solsTiCe d'Hiver wrote:
> I have a geforce 8300 GS. Nvidia driver since 295.xx began giving random
> 30s freeze when software attempt to use openGL one way or the other, I
> guess; like launching firefox or lauching gnome. I don't know what is
> the problem/bug.

Firefox 13? My Ubuntu and Arch do use similar versions of software, most
of the times when something evil happens, is when using Firefox.
It's equal to the trouble caused by hardware that will brake soon, but
if it would be related to damaged hardware, it also should happen for
completely outdated Linux installs on my machine, but those installs
seem to be still stable.

Arch nvidia is 295.53 and Ubuntu nvidia is 295.40.

> I have almost no hope that this will ever be fixed and I can't downgrade
> because X was updated.
>
> But nouveau drivers are perfectly fine except I can't play some game
> anymore. But I never played that much.

I suspect that nouveau still isn't an option for me. Ubuntu doesn't
support the nv driver anymore and on Arch I'm only using it for the
kernel-rt, for the regular kernel I'm using the proprietary driver,
since I sometimes wish to have 3D acceleration.

I don't know if Arch is stable with the kernel-rt and the nv driver,
because I couldn't start X on Arch when running kernel-rt's < 3.4 for
the last month. FWIW, the "regular" Arch kernel is still 3.3.x.

I'll test current nouveau on Arch and current Ubuntu ASAP, however I
already know that for my Debian stable, nouveau still is a PITA.

If it should be related to the nvidia driver version, I don't need
packages, if X should work with 17x or whatever, I'm willing to install
it manually.

Thank you for the information,
Ralf