[arch-general] installation failure

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 16:34:20 EDT 2012

I am getting a failure when attempting to install 64-bit arch as the main OS
on my principal desktop system.

I am following the instructions at
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Software_RAID_and_LVM, since I have two
brand-new 2TB drives that I want to use in RAID1.

1. I have downloaded and burned the current NetInstall image on a CD.
2. Booting from the CD, I execute: /arch/setup
3. I execute: modprobe raid1
4. I execute: modprobe dm-mod
5. I execute: pacman-db-upgrade
6. I execute: pacman -Syy

All the above works fine.

7. I execute: pacman -S gdisk

At this point I am told that I should upgrade pacman, and am asked if I want
to do this. I answer "Y". A bunch of stuff gets download, but eventually I am
told that the upgrade cannot be performed.

Possibly this is because it's attempting to write to a read-only filesystem --
i.e., the CD drive (I'm guessing wildly that that is the cause). But in any
case, I can't get past this point.

How do I proceed?

  Doc Evans

--