[arch-general] Arch as a web server

Arno Gaboury arnaud.gaboury at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 06:26:56 EDT 2012

On 06/19/2012 12:15 PM, Jean-Luc Bassereau wrote:

> Le 19/06/2012 12:07, Arno Gaboury a écrit :
>> On 06/19/2012 11:56 AM, Arno Gaboury wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I plan to settle in the comimg months a web server to deliver many
>>> services to the trading community (I am myself a trader).
>>>
>>> I daily use Arch as my system on my home box, and I must admit I am
>>> very satisfied by its strength and its very active and deep involved
>>> community. My plan is to first train building the website on a VM
>>> server, then go to a remote dedicated server.
>>>
>>> Can you please give me some pro/against reasons for using Debian
>>> distro rather than Archlinux as a web server? Is there any provider
>>> offering Arch distro, as it seems it is hard, near impossible, to
>>> find one.
>>>
>>> TY for your advises.
>> I just want to add I am just a small level over the n00b status,
>> let's say I am a n00b++, and learning Debian specificities can proove
>> to be a waste of time.
>

> Depending on the webapps you wish to run, some of them might be very
> unpleased not to meet the "usual" distros.
> Furthermore, administrating a production Arch web server might be in
> my own opinion a time consuming activity (regarding the rolling
> release aspect). Especially if (like most of admins) you prefer to
> test updates on a "PreProd" server before applying them on production
> one. You may probably have a look on the ArchServer project.

I want the website to be first a place for trading ideas/opinions
exchange, with usual stuffs as mailing list, forum,chat rooms or any
kind of article publishing. I need to be easily able to publish
technical analysis in image format. I want to be able to provide live
feeds, quick links to ouside article. Then, I will probably enable some
kind of private login, with acsess to customisable pages.Last would be
to sell analysis and risk mangement software/Latex processed automated
reporting.
Nothing really fancy in fact.