[arch-general] Arch as a web server

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 10:40:27 EDT 2012

On Tuesday 19 Jun 2012 16:31:49 Arno Gaboury wrote:
> On 06/19/2012 04:20 PM, Bartłomiej Piotrowski wrote:
> > On 06/19/2012 04:14 PM, gt wrote:
> >> Can you please elaborate how you manage the regular updates, especially
> >> kernel, udev, glibc etc. Do you hold back the upgrades to packages which
> >> require a restart?
> >
> > This is exactly how I handle kernel updates. Afaik glibc and udev
> > updates don't require reboot.
>
> gt pointed here a good point who honestly refrains me a litle bit from
> using Arch, even if I feel comfortable with this distro and its community.

I have a once-a-month scheduled reboot to take care of kernel upgrades.  I
hold back linux and udev, because they tend to rely on each other.

ArchLinux does take quite a bit of time to keep up-to-date, but in my opinion
the inconvenience is *far* outweighed by the the simplicity of configuration,
building & customising packages, feeling of being in control, etc...

Paul