[arch-general] back up /var/log before shutdown

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Wed Jun 20 12:00:15 EDT 2012

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 17:20:55 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-06-20 at 09:57 -0500, Leonid Isaev wrote
> > Well, SSD's limited number of write cycles is largerly a myth these days
> > [snip]
> >

> [...]
> The way they're handled might be important in a way it's important for
> HDDs too, e.g. does the FS require something comparable to M$ FS
> defragmentation?

Well, it all depends on a task at hand. Windows 7 is quite efficient on SSDs
for a general purpose system. And NTFS, if properly configured, is at the same
level of performance as ext4/btrfs maybe better, at least in my experience.

> But if a user
> needs to take care about read and write cycles for a storage device IMO
> make the usage of a computer too complicated. This is a task for the FS,
> the device's controller or whatever.

Or OS :)

> How often does we need a log file after a regular shutdown? If you copy
> them for shutdown, you simply can abandon those files completely.

System logs are always useful and must not be volatile.

--
Leonid Isaev
GnuPG key: 0x164B5A6D