[arch-general] back up /var/log before shutdown

Arno Gaboury arnaud.gaboury at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 12:58:10 EDT 2012

On 06/20/2012 05:20 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-06-20 at 09:57 -0500, Leonid Isaev wrote
>> Well, SSD's limited number of write cycles is largerly a myth these days [snip]
>>
> A storage drive should be usable in quasi every way. We aren't talking
> about an USB stick or DVD RW ;). If you need tricks to enlarge the
> lifetime, than it's a useless device. I already quoted the Wiki
> regarding to the lifetime. It's said that they have a longer lifetime
> than modern hard disk drives usually have got. If they shouldn't last
> long, just because Linux does write to often log files and you have to
> use tricks and need an additional hard disc drive, than this new devices
> are crap. Again, what's about noatime etc.? The way they're handled
> might be important in a way it's important for HDDs too, e.g. does the
> FS require something comparable to M$ FS defragmentation? But if a user
> needs to take care about read and write cycles for a storage device IMO
> make the usage of a computer too complicated. This is a task for the FS,
> the device's controller or whatever.
> How often does we need a log file after a regular shutdown? If you copy
> them for shutdown, you simply can abandon those files completely.
>
> Just an opinion,
> Ralf

OK guys. When I bought my ssd, I read too that this story of short
lifetime is a myth. As it is now clear to me that writing /var/log into
RAM is a totally fullish idea in case of crash, I am back to my original
fstab, with no entry for /var/log.
I will then take my time to understand rsyslog or syslog-ng.
Ty all for your wise advises.