[arch-general] Installing to RAID .. cannot reboot

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 05:41:02 EDT 2012

On Wednesday 20 Jun 2012 11:27:54 D. R. Evans wrote:
> When I try to reboot, I receive the error message:
>   ERROR: device /dev/md0 not found
>   ERROR: unable to find root device /dev/md0

To me, this sounds like the RAID array is being given the wrong name, or the
mdadm hook isn't being added to /etc/mkinitcpio.conf.

When you get the above error message, are you dropped to a busybox shell?  If
so, can you do:

# ls /dev/md*

...to see if the array is being started at all?

This should be fixable without going through a full install each time.  Just
boot the install disk, insert md_mod, and cat /proc/mdstat to see if your RAID
array is working.  If it is, you can chroot into it in the normal way and fix
whatever configuration issue this turns out to be.

Paul