[arch-general] Installing to RAID .. cannot reboot

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 11:44:03 EDT 2012

Paul Gideon Dann said the following at 06/21/2012 03:41 AM :
> On Wednesday 20 Jun 2012 11:27:54 D. R. Evans wrote:
>> When I try to reboot, I receive the error message:
>>   ERROR: device /dev/md0 not found
>>   ERROR: unable to find root device /dev/md0
>
> To me, this sounds like the RAID array is being given the wrong name, or the
> mdadm hook isn't being added to /etc/mkinitcpio.conf.

Extract from /etc/mkinitcpio.conf (sorry about any possible wrapping issue):

MODULES="dm_mod"
HOOKS="base udev mdadm_udev lvm2 autodetect pata scsi sata filesystems
usbinput fsck"

> When you get the above error message, are you dropped to a busybox shell?  If
> so, can you do:
>
> # ls /dev/md*
>
> ...to see if the array is being started at all?

I am dropped to some sort of primitive shell (the prompt says "rootfs"). As
you suspect,
  ls /dev/md*
reports no such file or device.

So I think we have a clue and it looks like you are right that the RAID is not
being started, although I don't know why.

A couple more facts that may provide useful information:

1. I also did an
  ls /etc
And I see that there are only three entries: fstab, mtab and udev. I don't
know if that's reasonable. I naïvely expected to see a populated /etc (since
presumably /etc/mkinicpio.conf has been read at this point), but perhaps that
expectation was incorrect.

2. I checked that the RAID will start correctly if I assemble the array from
within a different OS, and it does so.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR