[arch-general] locale variables

Arno Gaboury arnaud.gaboury at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 11:07:30 EDT 2012

On 06/24/2012 04:56 PM, John K Pate wrote:
>> It seems to me some lignes about French and euro are missing. Am I
>> right? Looking at the list etc/locale.pacnew, I was thinking adding
>> these locales :
>>
>> #fr_CH.UTF-8 UTF-8
>> #fr_CH ISO-8859-1
>> #fr_FR.UTF-8 UTF-8
>> #fr_FR ISO-8859-1
>> #fr_FR at euro ISO-8859-15
>>
>> Am I right to add all these locales?
>>
>> I understand I must run *$logal-gen* to add these modifications.
>>
>> What should I do with the locale.gen.pacnew ?? How can I update my
>> system correctly? I see that all locales are going to
>> */usr/share/i18n/locales*, and I guess locale.gen.pacnew will modify
>> this list, but I have no idea how to do that.
> .pacnew files are created when pacman downloads a changed version of
> some configuration file you have changed. Instead of trying to guess
> what you want, pacman leaves your configuration file as-is and leaves
> the new version of the config file in a .pacnew file. It's up to you to
> merge the new default configuration file with the configuration file
> you have changed locally. I use vimdiff to merge .pacnew files.
> Once the files have been merged, you should delete the .pacnew file.
> Read more here:
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacnew_and_Pacsave_Files
>
> So you should merge /etc/locale.gen with /etc/locale.gen.pacnew, make
> sure the relevant locales are uncommented, run locale-gen, and then
> delete your .pacnew file.

TY for your answer.
For now, I use *sdiff* to edit and merge with new *.pacnew* files.
I was confused this time because Thunar explorer show me local.gen as a
binary! But this is not the case, so I will merge the two local.gen.

Now the other part of my question is left unanswered: shall I need to
uncomment all these variables:

#fr_CH.UTF-8 UTF-8
#fr_CH ISO-8859-1
#fr_FR.UTF-8 UTF-8
#fr_FR ISO-8859-1
#fr_FR at euro ISO-8859-15

I will uncoment them, as my first thought is it will not break anything even if I do not need them. But I maybe wrong...