[arch-general] locale variables

John K Pate j.k.pate at sms.ed.ac.uk
Sun Jun 24 10:56:21 EDT 2012

> It seems to me some lignes about French and euro are missing. Am I
> right? Looking at the list etc/locale.pacnew, I was thinking adding
> these locales :
>
> #fr_CH.UTF-8 UTF-8
> #fr_CH ISO-8859-1
> #fr_FR.UTF-8 UTF-8
> #fr_FR ISO-8859-1
> #fr_FR at euro ISO-8859-15
>
> Am I right to add all these locales?
>
> I understand I must run *$logal-gen* to add these modifications.
>
> What should I do with the locale.gen.pacnew ?? How can I update my
> system correctly? I see that all locales are going to
> */usr/share/i18n/locales*, and I guess locale.gen.pacnew will modify
> this list, but I have no idea how to do that.

.pacnew files are created when pacman downloads a changed version of
some configuration file you have changed. Instead of trying to guess
what you want, pacman leaves your configuration file as-is and leaves
the new version of the config file in a .pacnew file. It's up to you to
merge the new default configuration file with the configuration file
you have changed locally. I use vimdiff to merge .pacnew files.
Once the files have been merged, you should delete the .pacnew file.
Read more here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacnew_and_Pacsave_Files

So you should merge /etc/locale.gen with /etc/locale.gen.pacnew, make
sure the relevant locales are uncommented, run locale-gen, and then
delete your .pacnew file.

--
John K Pate http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s0930006/

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.