[arch-general] Arch as a web server

Martin Cigorraga msx at archlinux.us
Tue Jun 26 08:30:52 EDT 2012

Hi guys, may be you'll find ArchServer an interesting project, you'll find
more here:
www.archserver.org.

The idea behind this project is to create a rock-solid,
server-oriented Arch flavor ready for
mass deployment with all the pros we love about Arch -easy to maintain,
lightweight,
ultra-stable, a joy to use, you know, The Arch Way- plus a well tested
repositories to
ensure no unexpected surprises (!) and the least manual intervention
possible while
remaining %100 Arch-compatible.

While the project have been around for quite some time, the lack of people
involved together
with real-life matters of it's lead devs and mantainers made Arch Server
slide into an
induced sleep for some time... until now.
In my last email exchange with Daniel (aka ShadowBranch, current AS
maintainer), about a
month ago, he made clear it's matter of time until the project is up and
fully running again -
undoubtedly he is not having the necessary spare time to setup everything
again and relaunch
the project.

So if you think ArchServer have any worthiness or is something interesting
-personally I would
_love_ to have a specific server-flavor of Arch- head on to the ML section
and subscribe
yourselves so you don't miss the grand reopening.

P.S.: I know this may sound like a cheap NTM[0]/sell speach but it's
not! I'm just a fan of the
idea of having a server edition of AL ready to deploy and forgot about it
because Arch rocks
and I don't really want to work with any other distros that isn't
Arch-centric; also I find inefficient
to have to learn the ways of other distros -which I don't like how they do
things- in order to
work with a production server.
For now I set up my Arch Linux server boxes by hand as the next archer
does, but I'm sure it
would be plain awesome to have an Arch branch specifically fitted for the
server role, it could
save me countless hours on deployment, management, testing, servicing,
etc., and I'm sure
it can do the same for all the rest of the archers :)

[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_marketing

Cheers!