[arch-general] [aur-general]WIKI/pacman -Sy

Arno Gaboury arnaud.gaboury at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 09:56:25 EDT 2012

Dear list,

I am currently fine tunning and installing lots of services on my Arch
box. In that way, I often refers to Arch WIKI.

On the *pacman WIKI*, there is a useful Warning:
**When installing packages, do *not* refresh the package list without
upgrading
<https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman#Upgrading_packages> the
system (i.e. |pacman -Sy /package_name/|); this can lead to dependency
issues.

But on most WIKI, when installing a new package is needed, I always find
this command:

*$pacman -S packagenam*

As by definition WIKI will often adress to newbies, my thought was to
replace whenever I find the above command by this following one:

*$pacman -Sy packagenam*

In that way, newbies will very quickly take the good and sain habit of
running the *-y *option when installing a new package on their box.

Any idea if it could be worthwile for the comuunity?

TY.