[arch-general] [aur-general]WIKI/pacman -Sy

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Wed Jun 27 10:01:21 EDT 2012

On 27 June 2012 14:56, Arno Gaboury <arnaud.gaboury at gmail.com> wrote:
> But on most WIKI, when installing a new package is needed, I always find
> this command:
>
> *$pacman -S packagenam*
>
> As by definition WIKI will often adress to newbies, my thought was to
> replace whenever I find the above command by this following one:
>
> *$pacman -Sy packagenam*
>
> In that way, newbies will very quickly take the good and sain habit of
> running the *-y *option when installing a new package on their box.
>
> Any idea if it could be worthwile for the comuunity?

Explicit pacman command as installation instruction given on the wiki
has been deprecated:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Help:Style#Package_management_instructions

"to avoid errors such as pacman -Sy package or possibly never-ending discussions
like the choice between pacman -S package and pacman -Syu package"

So, I believe it solves the dilemma.

Best regards,