[arch-general] Nvidia/vesafb/GRUB2

arnaud gaboury arnaud.gaboury at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 11:29:01 EDT 2012

####Sent from my Galaxy S2 running Cyanogenmod 9#### Come and chat on
Googletalk

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/173.14.09/README/chapter-19.html
:

>>> First sentence: *The NVIDIA Accelerated Linux Graphics Driver supports
>>> all standard VGA and VESA modes*
>>

>> Wow, you guys are now mixing up *three* things!
>>
>> Like I said, one thing is the vesa standard, and the other is a linux
driver
>> called vesafb. These are not one and the same! Now you've added a third
thing
>> into the mix - vesa modes. They are modes defined by the standard.
>>

> I do not see what I have mixed up, I never said anything about vesafb,
only the VESA standard, also I have not talked about defining any modes,
only another driver option to use instead of the proprietary.

> I think you're the one "mixing" up what we have written.

I am the one who used the word "mode" when I wanted to talk about
Framebuffer. My words were not precise enough, as I fully understand what a
mode is.
I shall learn to be more precise.