[arch-general] Nvidia/vesafb/GRUB2

arnaud gaboury arnaud.gaboury at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 03:12:07 EDT 2012

####Sent from my Galaxy S2 running Cyanogenmod 9#### Come and chat on
Googletalk
On Jun 29, 2012 1:16 AM, "Kevin Chadwick" <ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> > No, it supports the vesa standard. All cards do. But that's completely
different
> > from vesafb, a linux driver.
>
> Your right and you cleared up the confusion somewhbut that's a little
> unfair. I believe all cards MUST support VESA. The vesafb driver isn't
> supported directly but it uses the VESA standard as do many embedded
> drivers so it is supported indirectly. They certainly don't support
> running both but then on the 172 driver mentioned they don't support
> the recent xorg servers new abi either.
>
> If I was the OP I wouldn't waste time if there's is no problem beyond
> a log from a closed source driver unless uvesafb offers benefits as
> that won't be supported either as it's not Nvidia's code is it?

I am the OP and I agree with your opinion, thus I decided to ignore the
Kernel error message. As there is NO decisive answer, neither an
universally recognized setup,  this is the way I decided to run my X server
with my Nvidia graphic card and driver. My system MAY be instable thought,
but I endorse the risk.
Switching to Nouveau would be best indeed, but not at its current stage.