[arch-general] renaming files (SOLVED)

pete p.nikolic1 at btinternet.com
Fri Mar 2 03:14:01 EST 2012

On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 00:16:06 +0100
Florian Pritz <bluewind at xinu.at> wrote:

> On 02.03.2012 00:13, pete wrote:
> > Hi folks
> >
> > Bit sort of off topic but hopefully ok
> >
> > I have some 350 picture files  with names  along the lines of
> > "IMG_7127 EOS-1D Mark III copy.jpg"    i would like to rename them
> > all to more like "IMG_7127.jpg"  i have tried a few times tonight
> > and cant get my head around it anyone got a script that can do it
> >

> If the string is always the same use this:
>
> rename " EOS-1D Mark III copy" "" *.jpg
>
> If not:
>
> for file in *.jpg; do
>   mv "$file" "$(echo "$file" | sed 's/regex here//')"
> done
>
> This won't be fast, but it gets the job done.

Morning All

Thanks for the scripts ect   problem now solved and plenty of ideas
stashed so that hopefully next time i dont need to holler for help .

I maintain a web site for my local car club   there is a large
collection of photo's from the various events we do each year so it
gets big and was in need of a bit of TLC  ..

Thanks    Pete .

--
Linux 7-of-9 3.2.8-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Feb 27 21:51:46 CET 2012
x86_64 AMD Phenom(tm) 9600B Quad-Core Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux