[arch-general] fakeroot package() -> mkdir: cannot create directory : Permission denied

"Jérôme M. Berger" jeberger at free.fr
Sun Mar 4 01:52:48 EST 2012

David C. Rankin wrote:
> On 03/03/2012 04:39 PM, Allan McRae wrote:
>>>   I'm not sure what makepkg needs to tell it to put the packages in the $pkgdir
>>>>
>> make INSTALL_ROOT=$pkdir install
>>

> What determines whether you need:
>
>   make DESTDIR="${pkgdir}" install
>
> or
>
>   make INSTALL_ROOT="${pkgdir}" install
>
> ??
>
> Can you grep something before building and tell?

	A lot of software uses the GNU autotools to generate the makefiles.
You can tell by the presence of the files configure.ac (or
configure.in) and Makefile.am. For most of those DESTDIR should work
(unless the developer added some custom rules that don't follow the
usual practice).

	For other software, there is no easy way to tell. I have seen
DESTDIR, DEST_DIR and INSTALL_ROOT among others (plus some software
does not have a way to install like that and you need to change the
prefix and cross your fingers that it will work).

		Jerome
mailto:jeberger at free.fr
http://jeberger.free.fr
Jabber: jeberger at jabber.fr