[arch-general] problem with pulseaudio when resuming from pm-suspend

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Mar 9 19:12:59 EST 2012

On Fri, 2012-03-09 at 18:37 -0500, Loui Chang wrote:
> I'm confused. Why is pulseaudio so necessary? I just use alsa for sound
> and have no problems whatsoever. Granted, I don't use one of them fancy
> shmancy desktop environments.

IMPORTANT!

WE NEED TO REPEAT THIS AGAIN AND AGAIN!

Those fancy-schmancy DEs make PA a dependency, but that doesn't mean
that PA is needed for those DEs. De facto audio out doesn't work with
many sound cards, if PA is enabled. If it's disabled audio out does work
with Jack + ALSA backend and ALSA only. "Disabling" PA doesn't work as
expected for every distro, but usually simply replacing PA by a dummy
package has got no unwanted side effect. For Archlinux there's a clean
solution at least for GNOME,
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=48718 , I don't care about it,
but installed a dummy package for PA, so what ever I wish to install, I
don't need to take care, if PA is a dependency. AFAIK there's no DE that
needs PA.
Making PA a dependency for a DE, is like making X a dependency for
brltty.

- Ralf