[arch-general] 'Please enter summary' issue in our bugtracker

Karol Blazewicz karol.blazewicz at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 08:39:28 EST 2012

I can assume that 'Please enter summary' text was included in the bug
report template to remind people they should enter a summary of the
bug they're reporting and not just "tag" it with e.g. '[arptables]'. I
don't know when exactly was this introduced, but in the past month
I've noticed several bug reports with titles like '[arptables] PLEASE
ENTER SUMMARY'.

The titles have sometimes been fixed by the person the reports got
assigned to and 13 such reports out of over 500 is not bad:
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/28324
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/28362
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/28404
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/28454
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/28464
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/28534
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/28539
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/28574
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/28666
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/28711
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/28763
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/28791
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/28847

I think the design of our bug reports leaves something to be desired
but upstream seems dead http://flyspray.org/ so we have to make do.
Is it possible to put the cursor in the summary field to make it clear
that this part should be edited?

If such questions should be posted to the bugtracker and not the
mailing list, should I file them under Arch Linux project in Web Sites
category?