[arch-general] apparently bash export is broken for users

XeCycle xecycle at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 09:18:43 EDT 2012

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel at shellworld.net> writes:

> I tried setting up emacspeak and emacspeak needs two variables exported to
> the user's .profile file in order to work.  The EMACSPEAK_DIR variable
> needs to point at the location of emacspeak and DTK_PROGRAM needs to point
> at the speech server you intend to use.  The export commands did not
> create a .profile file for me nor did they update a .profile file for me
> with their contents in it.

Aren't you supposed to edit ~/.profile by hand?

> Using echo to create and populate the .profile also has no good
> effect.

How come?

> I'm about to use git to pull the current version of emacspeak
> down onto this system and try with that but I downloaded and
> built eflite and emacspeak that's on this machine from the aur
> repository.  Fortunately, I can test emacspeak on debian
> without much difficulty and may need to check out where debian
> stores those export variables since the debian version I have
> made work in the past.

A package can add something to the system profile directory, IIRC
/etc/profile on arch sources everything in /etc/profile.d, so you
can source /etc/profile if some environment is provided by the
package as system-wide.

--
Carl Lei (XeCycle)
Department of Physics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University