[arch-general] vbox - X won't start -> no screens -> "vboxvideo" (module requirement mismatch, 0)

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Mon Mar 12 22:52:57 EDT 2012

On 03/12/2012 05:37 PM, Jesse Juhani Jaara wrote:
> I would say you need to recompile the virtualbox package, so that the
> driver gets built for version Xorg 1.12, instead of 1.11. Then just
> install the compiled virtualbox-archlinux-additions package.
> You might want to read this.
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ABS_-_The_Arch_Build_System

Thanks Jesse,

  I'm familiar with ABS, and I can build a new vbox (from AUR PUEL licensed
ver.) or virtualbox-archlinux-additions, but what I was hoping to learn was
exactly what broke. If I understand you correctly, it was the update within
virtual box of Xorg 1.11 -> 1.12 that left the guest unable to start X due to
the vboxvideo.so not being compatible with 1.12.

  With that information, then and knowing the vboxvideo.so was provided by
virtualbox-archlinux-additions (courtesy of pacman), it looks like
virtualbox-archlinux-additions needs to be rebuilt based on the new X. The
question then becomes, if the new X breaks vboxvideo.so, what is it that
triggers the packager to know it's broken and needs rebuilding?

  User reports? Some kind of automated ldd check? Just curious and trying to
learn...

- --
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.