[arch-general] Firefox fonts are not anti-aliased after installing xorg-fonts-100dpi

Ankur Sethi get.me.ankur at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 14:58:23 EDT 2012

Hi,

I recently installed emacs-color-theme from AUR which, for some reason, required
xorg-fonts-100dpi. After installing xorg-fonts-100dpi, some websites in Firefox
no longer have antialiased fonts. For example, this is what the Mozilla
Developer Center looks like on my computer:

	http://imagebin.org/203464

I see the same issue on Twitter, Hacker News and several blogs. Removing
xorg-fonts-100dpi fixes the issue.

I've checked my installed pacakges and I have all the web fonts that are
recommended by the Arch Wiki. In any case, I don't think missing fonts are the
issue here. The same websites that look wonky in Firefox work well on both
Chrome and Opera.

Secondly, the emacs-color-theme package from AUR works just fine without
xorg-fonts-100dpi. I don't understand why that is listed as a dependency in the
PKGBUILD.

So can someone enlighten me? Why does emacs-color-theme require
xorg-fonts-100dpi, and why does installing xorg-fonts-100dpi make Firefox sad?

--
Ankur Sethi