[arch-general] Can't boot, root device not found

Josh Silard jsilard at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 23:58:59 EDT 2012

Hi list,

I recently performed an update of udev and my kernel and after this I am
unable to boot the normal kernel or the fallback. When I try I get this
error:

ERROR: Unable to find root device
'/dev/disk/by-uid/03619a2f-908f-4724-ba4b-1fb3985e382b'
You are being dropped to a recovery shell
Type 'exit' to try and continue booting
sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

Typing exit results in me dropping to another shell and if done repeatedly
a kernel panic. I attempted to boot via the grub console using the sda
device block but I came up with the same error. When I look in /dev through
the recovery console that comes up the sda* blocks aren't present.

I need to know if there is a way to do this without entirely reformatting
my system, I also don't have easy access to another computer but I have an
android phone. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Josh